- PtC Global Blog
Getting to know Cuba
Ever wondered how you can explore a place without physically being there? Research is the way to discover things you never knew. Thanks to PTC Global, we've done most of the work for you.
Check out these fun facts about Cuba.
1. Did you know that Cuba has one of the highest literacy rates in the world? Cuba has a 99.8% literacy rate.
2. Cuba has one of the largest populations in the Caribbean, with more than 11 million residents.
3. There is a statue of John Lennon from The Beatles in the country of Cuba. It was erected in 2000 by Fidel Castro, after Castro declared John Lennon to be a music revolutionary.
4. Grade school is mandatory for every child in Cuba between the ages of 6 and 15. Uniforms are universally required with different colors for each grade level.
5. Dance is very important in Cuba, the birthplace of classic dance styles like the Bolero, Mambo and Cha Cha.
6. Cuba has the highest doctor to patient ratio in the world. There are so many doctors in Cuba, that doctors are often sent abroad to countries with a great need of medical professionals.
7. In 2008, Fidel Castro resigned as the President of Cuba after having held the position for 49 years.
8. The average salary in Cuba according to data from 2013 was about $20 per month.
9. Until 2008, Cubans were not allowed to purchase their own computers.
10. Cubans don't typically write their recipes down. Instead, they are passed down from generation to generation through stories and shared experiences.
Explore Cuba at home! Check out this awesome travel video.